Thursday, February 1, 2007

Introduction to This Blog

Though I do maintain a personal blog, I wanted to create a separate space where I can discuss issues related to the health challenges I have been facing. I have heard from others who are in similar situations as I am medically, and I hope this site will be a resource for them as well.

Focusing the entire blog on health challenges and their effects on the rest of our lives will allow for more commonality among the readers and contributers. I say contributers because I hope to eventually be able to hear from others who are experiencing serious health challenges that affect their lives and to be able to create a forum to help and support one another. I hope the site will evolve and the focus become ever more clear as time goes on.

My vision for this blog is that it will be focused on health challenges that are chronic, disabling, or that severely restrict the sufferer's life in some way for the long-term. Though, of course, other types of health problems present equally significant hardships, I'd like to keep the focus of this blog to health problems that have severely impacted the patient's life and that are not expected to quickly disappear. Those with ongoing, disabling conditions do have some different experiences from those who have a serious illness, but one they know they will be rid of in the near future. Knowing you likely have to live with serious limitations your whole life can create a whole new set of issues.

Perhaps over time the scope of this blog will widen, but for now, I plan to keep it on-topic in the way described above. I'm open to suggestions and questions. Since I hope for this to be a blog with interaction from others, I am certainly willing to consider changes to my vision over time.

Sometime in the next one or two posts, I'll introduce myself and some of the health issues I am dealing with.

Please feel free to comment. I will also be setting up an email account for this blog soon so that I can receive private messages that some may prefer not to post in the blog comments.

No comments: